Saturday 24 May 2008

Week 4 - Duchamp Exhibition

What happened ?

This week our group went to meet up at the Tate Modern to visit Duchamps Exhibition.

We walked around for about an hour and took some notes. Tried to make a picture but it wasn't allowed apparently.

Maybe two pieces came to me quite intriguing but the rest did not really appeal to me, although I would have to keep in mind that the time it was made in some of the pieces might have been quite provocative for its time, for example the picture of the Mona Lisa painting with a moustache.

One thing I looked at quite long was a funny little movie of a mourning crowd running after the casket of one of their family members who supposedly died. This pursuit took quite long and had some humorous bits in it. The ending was somewhat odd where the casket finally crashed and opens and the person inside is suddenly back to live and touches the remaining people who where chasing the casket, upon his touch they disappear.

Metacognition

I have never been a great fan of exhibitions really my attention span for these kind of things is usually quite short. Maybe because my parents used to drag me from gallery to gallery when we were in holiday in France or Italy that got me really developing a hate for art galleries.

Frustrating as it is with this pre-history that our group was moved from Interactive Media as a major to Digital Arts as a major.

Evaluation

I do not feel I have gained anything from this exhibition in knowledge or my thoughts towards art.

Implications

Perhaps knowing now that Duchamp even turned a urinal into a piece of artwork convinced me that art can be about absolute nonsense.

Favorite Art pieces

The only favorite I could choose was the wanted posted that I posted a picture of earlier.

The rest did not appeal to me at all also I will not make a effort in pretending that I actually liked the rest.

No comments: